Approved, subject to conditions and S106, details to be set out in the minutes.
The Committee considered application 21/04216/F for the development of a new accommodation houseblock, new office/administration building, new workshop building, extension to existing medical office, new 'programmes/multifaith' building, and extension to existing physical recreation building; associated demolition works; extension to the prison car park; associated landscaping at HM Prison Bullingdon, Patrick Haugh Road, Upper Arncott, Bicester, OX25 1PZ for Her Majesty's Prison & Probation Service.
Chris Hays, agent for the applicant, addressed the committee in support of the application.
In reaching its decision the committee considered the officers’ report and presentation and the written updates and the address of the public speaker.
(1) That authority be delegated to the Assistant Director of Planning and Development to grant permission for application 21/04216/F subject to:
i) the completion of a planning obligation under Section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, as substituted by the Planning and Compensation Act 1991 to secure the following (and any amendments as deemed necessary):
· £125,000 towards public transport services
· Monitoring fees – TBC
ii) the following conditions (and any amendments to those conditions deemed necessary):
1. The development hereby permitted shall be begun before the expiration of three years from the date of this permission.
Reason : To comply with the provisions of Section 91 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 as amended by Section 51 of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004.
2. The development shall not be carried out otherwise than in complete accordance with the approved plans 535804-BHK-ZZZ-ZZ-DR-A-001-S4-D0100_P02, 535804-BHK-ZZZ-ZZ-DR-A-020-S4-D0100_P03, 535804-BHK-ZZZ-ZZ-DR-A-021-S4-D0100_P03, 535804-BHK-ZZZ-ZZ-DR-A-100-S4-D0100_P07, DR-A-1200_P01, DR-A-1201_P01, DR-A-1202_P01, DR-A-1203_P01, DR-A-1204_P01, DR-A-1205_P01, DR-A-3920_P01, DR-A-4000_P01, DR-A-4001_P01, DR-A-4002_P01, DR-A-4003_P01, DR-A-4004_P01, DR-A-4005_P01, DR-A-4006_P01, DR-A-3100_P01, DR-A-3101_P01, DR-A-30206_P01, DR-A-3100_P01, 535804-6462-BHK-051-ZZ-DR-A-0700-S4-D0100_P01, 535804-6462-BHK-051-ZZ-DR-A-0120-S4-D0100_P03, 535804-6462-BHK-051-GF-DR-A-0100-S4-D0100_P04, 535804-6462-BHK-051-MZ-DR-A-0102-S4-D0100_P02, 535804-6462-BHK-051-ZZ-DR-A-0110-S4-D0100_P03, 535804-6462-BHK-051-R1-DR-A-0101-S4-D0100_P04, 535804-6462-BHK-050-ZZ-DR-A-0120-S4-D0100_P02, 535804-6462-BHK-050-GF-DR-A-0100-S4-D0100_P03, 535804-6462-BHK-050-R1-DR-A-0101-S4-D0100_P03, 535804-6462-BHK-050-ZZ-DR-A-0110-S4-D0100_P02, 535804-6462-BHK-053-ZZ-DR-A-0700-S4-D0100_P01, 535804-6462-BHK-053-ZZ-DR-A-0120-S4-D0100_P03, 535804-6462-BHK-053-ZZ-DR-A-0110-S4-D0100_P03, 535804-6462-BHK-053-GF-DR-A-0100-S4-D0100_P05, 535804-6462-BHK-053-01-DR-A-0101-S4-D0100_P05, 535804-6462-BHK-053-02-DR-A-0103-S4-D0100_P02, 535804-6462-BHK-053-R1-DR-A-0102-S4-D0100_P04, 535804-6462-BHK-024-ZZ-DR-A-0700-S4-D0100_P01, 535804-6462-BHK-024-ZZ-DR-A-0120-S4-D0100_P03, 535804-6462-BHK-024-GF-DR-A-0100-S4-D0100_P04, 535804-6462-BHK-024-01-DR-A-0101-S4-D0100_P04, 535804-6462-BHK-024-MZ-DR-A-0103-S4-D0100_P02, 535804-6462-BHK-024-R1-DR-A-0102-S4-D0100_P04, 535804-6462-BHK-024-ZZ-DR-A-0110-S4-D0100_P03, 535804-6462-BHK-055-ZZ-DR-A-0700-S4-D0100_P01, 535804-6462-BHK-055-ZZ-DR-A-0120-S4-D0100_P03, 535804-6462-BHK-055-ZZ-DR-A-0100-S4-D0100_P04, 535804-6462-BHK-055-02-DR-A-0102-S4-D0100_P02, 535804-6462-BHK-055-R1-DR-A-0101-S4-D0100_P04, 535804-6462-BHK-055-ZZ-DR-A-0110-S4-D0100_P03, 535804-6462-BHK-026-ZZ-DR-A-0700-S4-D0100_P01, 535804-6462-BHK-026-ZZ-DR-A-0120-S4-D0100_P03, 535804-6462-BHK-026-GF-DR-A-0001-S4-D0100_P02, 535804-6462-BHK-026-GF-DR-A-0100-S4-D0100_P05, 535804-6462-BHK-026-01-DR-A-0002-S4-D0100_P02, 535804-6462-BHK-026-01-DR-A-0101-S4-D0100_P04, 535804-6462-BHK-026-R1-DR-A-0102-S4-D0100_P04, 535804-6462-BHK-026-ZZ-DR-A-0110-S4-D0100_P03, 535804-6462-BHK-052-00-DR-A-0100-S4-D0100_P03, 535804-6462-BHK-ZZZ-ZZ-SK-C-4200-S4-D0100_P01, 535804-6462-BHK-ZZZ-ZZ-SK-C-4201-S4-D0100_P01 received 20/12/2021 unless a non-material or minor material amendment is approved by the Local Planning Authority under the Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) Order 2015 (as amended).
Reason: To clarify the permission and for the avoidance of doubt.
3. No development shall be occupied until confirmation has been provided that either:- (i) all water network upgrades required to accommodate the additional demand to serve the development have been completed; or (ii) a development and infrastructure phasing plan has been agreed with Thames Water to allow development to be occupied. Where a development and infrastructure phasing plan is agreed no occupation shall take place other than in accordance with the agreed development and infrastructure phasing plan.
Reason: The development may lead to no / low water pressure and network reinforcement works are anticipated to be necessary to ensure that sufficient capacity is made available to accommodate additional demand anticipated from the new development.
4. The development hereby permitted shall be carried out in accordance with the recommendations set out in Ecological Appraisal of the HMP Prison Bullingdon by Bioscan (UK) Ltd dated November 2021 unless otherwise agreed in writing by the Local Planning Authority.
Reason: To protect habitats and/or species of importance to nature conservation from significant harm in accordance with the Government's aim to achieve sustainable development as set out in Section 15 of the National Planning Policy Framework.
5. The development shall proceed in accordance with the Flood Risk Assessment reference 20305-HYD-XX-XX-FP-FR-0005 prepared by Hydrock received 20/12/2021 accompanying the application unless otherwise previously approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority.
Reason: To protect the development and its occupants from the increased risk of flooding in accordance with Policy ESD6 of the Cherwell Local Plan 2011 – 2031 Part 1 and Government advice in Section 14 of the National Planning Policy Framework.
6. If, during development, contamination not previously identified is found to be present at the site, no further development shall be carried out until full details of a remediation strategy detailing how the unsuspected contamination shall be dealt with has been submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority. Thereafter the remediation strategy shall be carried out in accordance with the approved details.
Reason: To ensure that any ground and water contamination is identified and adequately addressed to ensure the safety of the development, the environment and to ensure the site is suitable for the proposed use, to comply with Saved Policy ENV12 of the Cherwell Local Plan 1996 and Section 15 of the National Planning Policy Framework.
7. The proposed extension to the car park shall be provided in accordance with the approved plans before first occupation of the development hereby permitted. The additional parking shall thereafter be retained for use in connection with the development for those purposes only.
Reason: In the interests of highway safety, to ensure the provision of adequate off-street car parking to comply with Government guidance in Section 12 of the National Planning Policy Framework.
8. Prior to the first use or occupation of the development hereby permitted, covered cycle parking facilities shall be provided on the site in accordance with details to be first submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority. The covered cycle parking facilities so provided shall thereafter be permanently retained and maintained for the parking of cycles in connection with the development.
Reason: In the interests of promoting sustainable transport modes in accordance with Government advice in the National Planning Policy Framework.
9. No development shall take place, including any works of demolition until a Construction Method Statement has been submitted to, and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority. The statement shall provide for at a minimum:
a) The parking of vehicles of site operatives and visitors;
b) The routeing of HGVs to and from the site;
c) Loading and unloading of plant and materials;
d) Storage of plant and materials used in constructing the development;
e) The erection and maintenance of security hoarding including decorative displays and facilities for public viewing, where appropriate;
f) Wheel washing facilities including type of operation (automated, water recycling etc) and road sweeping;
g) Measures to control the emission of dust and dirt during construction;
h) A scheme for recycling/ disposing of waste resulting from demolition and construction works;
i) Delivery, demolition and construction working hours;
The approved Construction Method Statement shall be adhered to throughout the construction period for the development.
Reason: To ensure the environment is protected during construction in accordance with Saved Policy ENV1 of the Cherwell Local Plan 1996 and Government guidance contained within the National Planning Policy Framework. This information is required prior to commencement of the development as it is fundamental to the acceptability of the scheme.
10. Prior to the first occupation of the development hereby approved, a Travel Plan, prepared in accordance with the Department of Transport’s Best Practice Guidance Note "Using the Planning Process to Secure Travel Plans" and its subsequent amendments (and a Travel Plan Statement setting out how this phase will contribute to the overall site wide Travel Plan), shall be submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority. Thereafter, the approved Travel Plan shall be implemented and operated in accordance with the approved details.
Reason - In the interests of sustainability, to ensure a satisfactory form of development and to comply with Policies SLE4 and ESD1 of the Cherwell Local Plan 2011-2031 Part 1 and Government guidance contained within the National Planning Policy Framework.
11. Prior to the commencement of the development hereby approved, full details of a drainage strategy for the entire site, detailing all on and off site drainage works required in relation to the development, shall be submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority. Thereafter, the drainage works shall be carried out and completed in accordance with the approved strategy, until which time no discharge of foul or surface water from the site shall be accepted into the public system.
Reason: To ensure that sufficient capacity is made available to accommodate the new development and in order to avoid adverse environmental impact upon the community in accordance with Government guidance contained within the National Planning Policy Framework. This information is required prior to commencement of the development as it is fundamental to the acceptability of the scheme.