Agenda and decisions


Council - Monday 19 July 2021 6.30 pm

Venue: Spiceball Leisure Centre, Cherwell Drive, Banbury OX16 2BW

Contact: Natasha Clark, Democratic and Elections  Email: democracy@cherwell-dc.gov.uk, 01295 221589

Note: Due to COVID restrictions, space at the meeting is extremely limited. Members of the public are strongly encouraged to view the live webcast. Members of the public wishing to attend are advised to apply in advance as once the space is filled on the day, no additional public can be permitted to attend in person. 

Media

Items
No. Item

2.

Declarations of Interest

Members are asked to declare any interest and the nature of that interest which they may have in any of the items under consideration at this meeting.

Additional documents:

3.

Communications pdf icon PDF 316 KB

To receive communications from the Chair and/or the Leader of the Council.

 

Additional documents:

4.

Petitions and Requests to Address the Meeting

The Chair to report on any requests to submit petitions or to address the meeting.

 

Addresses may be presented by:

·         A Local Government elector for the area,

·         A person who is wholly or mainly resident in the area,

·         A Council Taxpayer or National Non-Domestic Ratepayer for the area

 

Addresses must be on an item on the Agenda before the meeting and not exceed 5 minutes. No person may address more than one meeting on any particular issue.

 

Requests to address the meeting (including the reason for the address) should be submitted to democracy@cherwell-dc.gov.uk The deadline for petitions and requests to address this meeting is noon on Friday 16 July 2021.  

 

Full details of public participation at meetings is available in the Constitution.

 

Additional documents:

5.

Urgent Business

The Chair to advise whether they have agreed to any item of urgent business being admitted to the agenda.

 

Additional documents:

6.

Minutes of Council pdf icon PDF 471 KB

To confirm as a correct record the Minutes of Council held on 19 May 2021.

Additional documents:

7.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 3 MB

a)         Minutes of Executive, Lead Member Decisions and Executive Decisions not included in the 28 day notice

 

The Leader of the Council to formally propose that the minutes of the meetings of the Executive and Lead Member Decisions as set out in the Minute Book (circulated separately) be received and to report that since the last meeting of Council at which this was reported, 22 February 2021, 4 key and/or decisions have been taken by the Executive which were not included in the 28 day notice relating to: Lease for Waterside Development; Consideration of the Oxford to Cambridge ARC Principles; Strategic Vision for Oxfordshire; and, Public Sector Decarbonisation.

 

b)         Minutes of Committees

 

The Leader of the Council to formally propose that the minutes of committees as set out in the Minute Book (circulated separately) be received.

Additional documents:

8.

Questions pdf icon PDF 252 KB

a)         Written Questions

 

            1 written question has been submitted with advance notice in accordance with the Constitution. This is attached to the agenda. 

 

Question from: 

Question topic:

 Councillor Andy Beere

Environment Agency Flood Risk Survey 

 

A written response to the questions will be published on the working day before the meeting.

 

The Member who submitted the written question may ask a supplementary question provided it is relevant to the reply and does not introduce any new matter. The Member to whom the question was addressed may reply to such supplementary question or undertake to reply in writing.

 

 

b)         Questions to the Leader of the Council

 

The Chair to invite questions to the Leader of the Council (including any matters arising from the minutes).

 

Following a response to their question being provided Members will be entitled to a follow up or supplementary question.

 

 

c)         Questions to Committee Chairmen on the Minutes

 

The Chair to invite questions to Chairmen of Committees on any matter arising from the minutes of their committee (if any).

 

 

Additional documents:

9.

Parliamentary Boundary Review and Cherwell District Wide Community Governance Review pdf icon PDF 385 KB

Report of Chief Executive

 

Purpose of report

 

To advise Council of the 2023 Parliamentary Boundary Review; to seek agreement to conduct a district wide Community Governance Review; to request the establishment of a Parliamentary Boundary and Community Governance Review Working Group to consider issues from the Parliamentary Boundary review and the Community Governance Review.

 

Recommendations

            

The meeting is recommended:

 

1.1         To agree to establish a Parliamentary Boundary and Community Governance Review (PBCGR) Working Group.

 

1.2         To delegate authority to the Chief Executive, in consultation with Group Leaders/ Spokesperson, to appoint three members from the Conservative Group, two members from the Labour Group, two members from the Progressive Oxfordshire Group and one member from the Independent Group to the Working Group. 

 

1.3         To agree that Cherwell District Council submit a response to the Parliamentary Boundary Review and delegate authority to the Chief Executive, in consultation with the Member Working Group, to finalise the Council’s first consultation submission on the Parliamentary Boundary review to the Boundary Commission for England.

 

1.4         To agree that a district wide Community Governance Review be undertaken and, subject to agreement, endorse the next steps detailed at paragraph 3.16.

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved

 

(1)           That it be agreed to establish a Parliamentary Boundary and Community Governance Review (PBCGR) Working Group.

 

(2)           That authority be delegated to the Chief Executive, in consultation with Group Leaders/ Spokesperson, to appoint three members from the Conservative Group, two members from the Labour Group, two members from the Progressive Oxfordshire Group and one member from the Independent Group to the Working Group. 

 

(3)           That it be agreed that Cherwell District Council submit a response to the Parliamentary Boundary Review and authority be delegated to the Chief Executive, in consultation with the Member Working Group, to finalise the Council’s first consultation submission on the Parliamentary Boundary review to the Boundary Commission for England.

 

(4)           That it be agreed to undertake a district wide Community Governance Review and the next steps be endorsed

 

10.

Standards Arrangements - Independent Persons

** Please note this report will follow as it is currently being reviewed and finalised **

 

Report of Director of Law and Governance and Monitoring Officer

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved

 

(1)           That responsibility be delegated to the Standards Committee to agree the process for and to undertake the recruitment of three Independent Persons for recommendation to the 13 December 2021 Council meeting.

 

(2)           That the appointments of Mr Graham Matthews, Mr Tom Edwards and Mr Stuart Green as Independent Persons be extended to the 13 December 2021 Council meeting.

 

11.

Capital Programme Amendments pdf icon PDF 371 KB

Report of Director of Finance

 

Purpose of report

 

To seek Council’s approval to amend the Capital Programme for 2021/22 in line with the Financial Regulations.

 

Recommendations

            

The meeting is recommended:

 

1.1       to approve the inclusion of the Public Sector Decarbonisation Scheme into the Capital Programme at a cost of £5.987m funded by Government grant.

 

1.2       to approve the inclusion of the Garden Town scheme for Banbury Road Roundabout into the Capital Programme at a cost of £4.550m funded by Government grant.

 

1.3       to vire £75k from the Finance System Project to the iTrent payroll project.

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved

 

(1)           That the inclusion of the Public Sector Decarbonisation Scheme into the Capital Programme at a cost of £5.987m funded by Government grant be approved.

 

(2)           That the inclusion of the Garden Town scheme for Banbury Road Roundabout into the Capital Programme at a cost of £4.550m funded by Government grant be approved.

 

(3)           That it be agreed to vire £75k from the Finance System Project to the iTrent payroll project.

12.

Treasury Management Outturn Report - 2020-21 pdf icon PDF 440 KB

Report of the Director of Finance

 

Purpose of report

 

To receive information on treasury management performance and compliance with treasury management policy and Prudential Indicators for 2020-21 as required by the Treasury Management Code of Practice.

 

Recommendations

            

The meeting is recommended:

 

1.1       To note the contents of the 2020-21 Treasury Management Outturn Report.

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved

 

(1)           That the contents of the 2020-21 Treasury Management Outturn Report be noted.

13.

Amendment to Committee Membership

The Leader of the Conservative Group, Councillor Wood, will advise Council of a change to the Conservative Group membership of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee.

 

Recommendation

 

The meeting is recommended:

 

1.1       To note the amendment to the Conservative Group membership of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee.   

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved

 

(1)           That the following change of Conservative Group committee membership be noted:

 

Overview and Scrutiny Committee

Remove: Councillor Maurice Billington

Add: Councillor David Hughes

14.

Motions pdf icon PDF 208 KB

To debate the following motion which has been submitted with advance notice, in accordance with the Constitution.

 

Topic

Proposer

Seconder

‘Fire and Rehire’

Councillor Barry Richards

 

TBC

 

 

Please note that the deadline to submit motions has passed. The deadline for Members to submit amendments to the above motion is noon on Thursday 15 July 2021.  No amendments will be permitted after this deadline.

 

Any amendments submitted will be published as a supplement to the agenda on the afternoon of Friday 16 July 2021. Amendments for motions will be dealt with in the order submitted. 

 

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

On being put to the vote the motion was lost and subsequently fell